Resilience, patience and persistence





Over the past two months, three words have been the key to getting me back on track. Getting through an injury is not only physical recovery but mental healing as well. Resilience is something that I see as being really important as bouncing back from some downtime can either be positive or negative. I tried and looked at my injury as a time I got to focus on other elements of triathlon rather than running and gain strength in those areas. I am not going to lie, it’s hard. Being in an elite environment on a day to day basis, you have to put all on focus into yourself and plan how you will build back and learn from your mistakes, rather than worrying about what others are doing around you. A constant reminder for myself was a quote "remind yourself that you don’t have to do what everyone else is doing!".


Leaving Australia, I headed straight to Paris and spent a week with my French team in Poissy, just outside of Paris. I had never been there before and I was excited to spend time in a different part of the world. That week was pretty easy leading into Dunkerque French GP with some cruisey rides in the country side, some tempo running in the forest and some quality swim km’s with the club. I have been pretty patient with my return to running and I used the elliptical as an important part of my return. My first race back in nearly 3 months, I had no idea what to expect but I had confidence in the processes that I wanted to achieve. I lead out of the water and we had a good group of girls working together on the bike to gain a big advantage before the run. My run was no where near where it could be but I was so happy to finish 10th, with no pain, a full race complete and lots of positives to take away. Thanks Poissy for having me for the week and 1st for our team was a way to finish the week on a high.



I am now back in Vitoria Gasteiz, where I have now been settling back in for the past few weeks. The riding here, we really do take for granted! So much to choose from and more importantly the cars are very friendly towards us. It’s been good building my training up and I even got to experience my first double run day in a very long time! At the moment, we are training hard towards WTS Leeds this weekend. Last weekend, I did my first German Bundesliga race for my Team TV Lemgo Triathlon. As soon as we stood on the start line, the rain started to pour down. I lead out of the swim with 5 other girls but no one really wanted to work on the bike. Possibly the most dangerous ride I have done with all the water on the road. I feel like I ran well for the week we had leading into the race and I am excited to get back on the WTS circuit this weekend.





I can see that persistence pays off and that I am on the return to my best form. Training is a rollercoaster but I am enjoying the ups and the downs. I am looking forward to getting some consistency back and some quality work done here in Vitoria Gazteiz in my lead up to my next few races after Leeds.
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two weekends. Two races. Two second places

WTS Season!

WTS Abu Dhabi 2018 - my first WTS podium