Home sweet home!




In the last week of my overseas trip for 2016, I jumped through six time zones to get back to my final destination - home. There was a lot of travel this year to places I have never trained or raced before but this year was probably the year I enjoyed the most out of the five years I have been away. Being happy training in the environment that you are in, I think reflects on performances mentally and your results at the end of the day.




World Championships in Cozumel was a great experience and I am very grateful to be the 42nd woman to represent Australia at a World Championships. Training in Florida was perfect to acclimatise to the weather conditions and to get some final hard sessions in for the year with the Wizards. Cozumel brought a lot of positives to take to the 2017 ITU season and prepare for a big two years leading to the Commonwealth Games. I have become confident in my swim and my ability to have processes in place to get me out near the front. By Cozumel, I learnt to back myself and my ability to be able to contribute in a bike pack and ride in smart positions. My running has been gradually progressing this year in the right direction after my foot injury but I know I still have plenty to work on to get up to the world’s best.




Since being home, it took me a week to start feeling like a normal human being. My body had no idea where I was in the world! Luckily my afternoon jetlag nap didn’t kick in and I got to watch my AFL team play in the Grand Final. I would love to one day head down to Melbourne and watch the AFL Grand Final at the MCG with 100000 fans. The Sydney Swans played very average but I am still a proud supporter. I am not sure about my Dad though who decided he might swap to Greater Western Sydney Giants after they lost because they are more local to us. Bad excuse!


This weekend I line up for my fifth Nepean Triathlon and next weekend my second Noosa Triathlon. Being back on a TT bike is actually a shock the first time you get on, as I always forget how much the wind blows you around. To my luck, it has been non stop windy since I have got home. With the winds being sometimes gale force, I have become best friends with my trainer and also gained a training partner in my dog. I actually don’t mind the trainer. It lets me get some consistency in power and a quality session without dealing with cars and magpies. My neighbour has started calling me garage girl.

Racing is the best sort of training. Over the past two weekends, I have headed out to Penrith to participate in two club races with the Hills Triathlon Club and Panthers Triathlon Club. After a solid week of training, it was good to race on a fatigued body and race against the guys. Being able to do some smaller races on the TT bike, has given me time to execute the processes that I need to put into place on race day over the next few weeks. Thanks to Ryan at 3D Bike Fit for getting me dialled up and in the most comfortable bike fit I have ever had – it is definitely essential with any new bike.


The 2016 season is nearly over and before I know it, the hard work will start again for 2017. For now it’s about getting the last out of my end of season fitness and keeping on top of the little things before a big last 6 weeks of racing!
 
 
 
 

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Two weekends. Two races. Two second places

WTS Season!

WTS Abu Dhabi 2018 - my first WTS podium