WTS Abu Dhabi 2018 - my first WTS podium


With Abu Dhabi on the horizon, I had 4 weeks of consistent training in our Wollongong base with the knowledge of the demands that the race in Abu Dhabi would have. Building on training and confidence each week was a great starting base for the season. Doing some new sessions in our training environment in this year has lit a new spark giving me confidence back in areas that I had lost. On 16th February I raced in Devonport Oceania Champs where I placed second after a full week of training. It was great to put processes in place under fatigue and get a full race under my belt.






Race day threw everyone off guard with rain starting to fall and a colder air temperature. Abu Dhabi gets about three days of rain a year and racing on the F1 track was going to make critical moments even trickier. Before I even got to the race site, I was covered in sand, water and muck off the roads. I knew that having a good pre-race plan would be key to executing right on race day. Every Tuesday they open up the F1 course to the public to ride which was an amazing experience, surrounded by hundreds of people doing the same 5.5km loop.  Not only was this a good opportunity to see parts of the course but  also the race familiarisation gave us four laps of knowledge which was the best pre race opportunity I have had before any WTS race.

After having the ability to watch the front end of the men’s race, I saw where the best opportunity to start and what line to take. The swim got off to a good start and having such a lengthy straight to the first buoy gave me a chance to put myself in a good place before the turn. Coming back into the swim exit, I moved up a few places and exited the water in sixth position. I could see the few athletes in front of me so I knew I would have to work hard on the first part of the bike and not panic. 



The course is one of the many demanding courses on the WTS circuit where it’s not all about riding fast, it’s about concentrating on skill and basic knowledge. I knew if I wanted to stay upright I had to do the basics right and keep focussed on my own ability. Within minutes people were crashing and I knew that I had to ride to myself even if it took one or two seconds more to get around the corner, it wasn’t worth the risk of doing a season ender. After the second lap on the bike, I got more familiar with where it was still quite wet and I become more comfortable in taking a line I thought worked best. By the end of the ride I was in a group of six  girls that entered T2 together and the race was anyone’s to be won with 50 seconds to the next group.











The run quickly spilt the group into a lead group of four. I told myself to keep composed and stay here as long as you can. After 3.5 km of running together we started to spilt and I fell off the back into fourth place. Coming into the final 400m, we were all still close when I saw the third place girl pull in to the penalty box.  I just kicked as hard as I could to the finish line. It was definitely a moment of how much do you want this. It was a photo finish and I couldn’t be happier to get third by one second. It took a while to sink in but I am ecstatic getting my first WTS podium as it is something I have worked hard towards for so long. I knew I had to back myself and race with intent from start to finish.









Thanks to my coach Jamie Turner, Triathlon Australia, my parents and all my supporters who I have helped and followed me in my journey so far. Next up Mooloolaba World Cup this weekend.





Comments

  1. My name is Samuel, I was in love with my wife and we were married for eight years with a son his is Liam,I loved my wife so much she had access to all my bank account and even my cash app which my accountant agreed to and said it was a great idea, then it took my wife and my accountant two month to get hold of all my properties,all accounts but I had a cash app which they knew nothing about,I was thrown out of my own house was sleeping in a hotel for weeks she also took possession of my son could only see him once a week then I found out she was in love with my accountant all these while so I went online and I came across a private investigator who help me get all my properties and my accounts back even my company back how he did these I don’t know but I gave all the information he asked for and followed all his instructions and now I’m happy my life’s better now.
    Thanks to premiumhackservices@gmail.com
    I just said I should share my own story here
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Two weekends. Two races. Two second places

WTS Season!